With the statistics of Man/State violation to women
From Turkish Psychiatry Association, As. Dr. Agâh Aydın and As. Dr. Ayşe Devrim Başterzi explained some results from World and Turkey about man/state violence to women. It is claimed that state authority determines the legitimization of violence to women in public sphere.
Language is a key concept in that sense to development of patriarchal system who dominates men. Turkish curriculum also legitimates the determined roles for women and men. In addition, laws also did not help the unequal position, on the other hand increased the gap in Turkey.
In addition to that report, according to “Violence to women in Turkey” results of Ayşe Gül Altınay and Yeşim Arat,
- One of 3 women exposed to physical violence.
- 35% of women exposed to physical violence at least one time in their life time.
- Divorced women experienced physical violence with the number of %78.
- Increasing education level declines the telling of physical violence.
- Increasing income level declines the telling of physical violence.
- %14 of women tell that they are forced to sex even they do not have will at least one time.
- 67% of women who exposed sexual violence at the same time experience physical violence.
Translation: Demet Gülçiçek (Volunteer Of Civil Society Development Center)